Friday, April 27, 2012

A Day at the Fair

On April 22nd, it was the Earth Fair!  I had never been to an earth fair, and I had never been to one with the Survivors.  I was in charge of setting up the “Stump a Survivor” area because I was the one who figured out how to set up the banner nicely.  After I finished, I placed a black block and a stool for the Survivor to sit on.  Then I ran over to the children’s booth.  I forgot to mention that we had a children’s booth as well as an adult booth.  So I went to the children’s booth to make sure that no one needed my help.
I arrived at the children’s booth to find fetal development signs set up, a sign that read “A Person’s a Person no matter how small!”, and multiple signs that said “We are here!”.  It was such a fun colorful booth!  There were stations to color pictures, a station to make bracelets, and couple info booths that had amazing models showing the different stages in the baby’s life in the womb.  I decided that I was going to help with the info table because there were plenty of people working at the other two stations.  While I was standing at my station, a pregnant woman and her husband came up to the table to look at the information and the models.  “Hi how are you?” I said to them.  “We are doing fantastic!” They said together.  The woman looked at the little baby models and rubbed her pregnant belly.  “How far along are you?” I finally asked.  She beamed with excitement, “About six months now!”
I picked up the twenty-six week old baby model and held it up to her, “Then this is about the actual size and weight of your baby right now.”  She took the model in her hands and held it next to her belly to do a size comparison.  Then I showed her the “Watch Me Grow” pamphlet that showed the baby’s development through all nine months of pregnancy.  I showed her month six and told her that by this time, her baby can hear her talking.  She rubbed her belly and leaned over as far as she could and said, “Hello my sweet, little, baby of mine!  This is your mama speaking!”  I smiled as her husband leaned down to do the same, “Hello baby!  This is daddy!  I can’t wait to hold you.”  It was so awesome!  I love seeing parents with their first kid on the way.  They are always so excited and interested to see what their baby can do through all nine months of pregnancy.  Even if that baby is not their first, they are still as excited as they were when they had their first kid!  I loved working at that booth.  I loved listening to women telling me what they planned to name their baby if they had a boy or a girl.  It was an awesome experience for me.  Usually at campuses, there would be women who were post-abortive, or people who knew women who have had abortions, but at this booth, there was happiness!  Pure happiness!
I am not going to lie, the children’s booth was actually a little overwhelming for me.  Yes it was happy and everyone was happy there, but that was the problem for me!  Believe it or not, the happiness was really overwhelming that I actually cried when that couple was talking to their little daughter or son in the womb.  “Hey this is daddy” or “Hello my sweet little baby of mine!” A tear did run down my cheek.  Why doesn’t anyone stand up and take a stand against abortion?  It’s obvious that it is a little person in the womb, she can’t be anything else!  
So since the children’s booth was so overwhelming for me, I moved back to the adult booth to work a little bit over there.  When I got there, there was anger, debates were going at either end of the road we were on, there were graphic signs of aborted children, and people with tablecloths trying to block our signs!  There was a 100% contrast from the other booth.  People that I had seen happy at the children’s booth had turned into angry protesters who did not agree with our message!  I conversed with a few of the angry people walking by saying things like “shame on you” or “you’re disgusting” to our faces.  I remember one person that came up to me.  She looked like she was very sweet, when she got up to me, she was sweet, but she did not agree with what I was doing.  “You should spread the message of love to the women, not these pictures of hatred.”
“These are pictures of the truth,” I said to her.
“You have to be like Jesus and spread love.  Jesus would have never displayed a graphic picture like this.”  I stretched my arms as wide as they could go, “He did do a graphic picture when he was crucified.”
“Well...um...well he knew that he was going to die like that.”
“So what’s the difference of me standing here with this sign and Jesus’ crucifiction?”
“His message was a message of love.”  I had started becoming irritated, but I calmly said to her, “I love the women.  I love the babies.  I even love the men involved in the pregnancy.  I love them all so much that I will do anything to protect them from going through this horrible thing.  I do not want a woman to go through the regret of killing her own child.  I do not want the child to be ripped apart in his or her mother’s womb which is supposed to be a safe haven for that child.  I do not want that man to be a father of a dead child.  That is why I am holding this sign.”  Unfortunately, she still did not understand and kept saying that I should spread the message of love like Jesus did.  “Ma’am, just like Jesus did, I am displaying a graphic image to save people!  I am here to protect everyone here.  I love everyone here!”
“Maybe you should just stay out of the decision of a woman between her and her doctor.”
“Now that I know that you are a christian, in Proverbs, it says to ‘Rescue those who are being dragged to the slaughter; and from those tottering to execution, withdraw not.’ I am here to rescue those little babies that are being dragged into abortion clinics against their will.”  
“But you shouldn’t use such a graphic picture,” she said folding her arms across her chest.
I pointed to the sign, “I can describe this as much as I want.  I can tell you how horrible and bloody abortion is, but I can’t describe the picture to the full extent.  Pictures are worth a thousand words!”
This conversation did go on for about a half an hour and finally, when she was leaving, she said to me, “I hope you find a way to spread your message with love.”
I got the last word and said, “Well I already told you I was...”  Then she left without saying another word.

For Life and for the Little Ones,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment